Monday, March 06, 2006

The Morning Market




Monday through Friday my husband and I get up at 5:00 am....we take the time to read scripture and pray together, go for our 2 mile walk, and then our family is off and running on yet another workday. I wouldn't trade the time from 5 - 6:30 for sleep ever. It is the pace-setter for the next 15 or so hours ahead of us. To quote Martha, "it's a good thing".

Saturday morning, however, is our best personal time.

We typically get up around 7 and have more time to read. In the last 2 months we have read Donald Miller's Searching For God Knows What and we have just begun his latest To Own A Dragon. We have time to dialogue, linger over Zabar's coffee, laugh, cry,...just be.

During "season", most Saturdays is a later-start workday for Garland, and the girls are sleeping in. This is the opportunity I have to take time for myself. My most enjoyable activity is going down to the Farmer's Market.

There is the regular cast of characters: The Flower Guy who tells me I have a great smile, The Marionette Man playing jazz music, The Migrants busily restocking vegetables, The Organic Farmer's Wife once again explaining to me how to take care of my herb plants, and then best of all, there is the Olive Oil Italian Lady named Ana. She has a smile that fuels the hot Florida sun. She is who brings me to Italy each Saturday morning, buying me time until my husband has his turn for the real thing. This is the hour I soak in. I come home refreshed with our family's produce and flowers for the upcoming week.

And I don't feel guilty at all...

What is your favorite way to pamper yourself?

10 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Welcome to blogging! This is a wonderful post, and I love peeking at your family life this way. Awesome!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't know you had a passion to visit the "real thing" of Italy....My dream to return there one day w/ my husband too--it's such a beautiful country--both people and land. Perhaps I need to sneak into your Sat. morning one day and experience a bit of Italy too. Lots of Love--JB

1:06 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Oh Shari! I'm so glad your'e using this format because now I can keep better track of you and yours! Welcome to the Blogger World!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like it when i get to go to the farmer's market!! by the way great pictures mom!!

ps dont give up totally on myspace, i love your comments!!!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Oh, I love my aunts!! :) It really does help to bridge the miles.

Jess, come with me anytime...we'll get Laura up to babysit the boys if need be!

Katy, I love you coming with me more than going alone! Don't worry, I'll still visit myspace :)

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I can add your site to the other's I visit regularly! Thanks for the link and for sharing with us.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it's nice you get to have an hour out of the week by yourself! i like to sleep or go shopping (for clothes) as my way of pampering myself! speaking of clothes shopping- I NEED JEANS!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!

5:16 PM  
Blogger pablohart said...

These photos remind me of some photos I took at our farmer's market last summer:

http://flickr.com/photos/hartville/sets/696064/

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear lady,

I remember well the times you have taken me to the Farmer's Mkt. You are very wise in your selections, and I loved the most recent time when I could help you select just the "right" item(s)!! I love you. Mom.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I think anyone that knows me knows that shopping is my way of pampering myself :)

Im glad ypu have fun at the farmers market :)

LOVE YOU MOM!

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home