Thursday, March 09, 2006

Train of Thought


As long as I can remember, my brain will link together people, places, etc. that normally would have no connection at all. And then, appearing to be out of the blue, I make some random comment aloud and the people around me have "no clue where that came from!" I then have to explain how the train got from point A to B.

I had one of those this morning as I connected my sweet friend, Linda with my most-missed G'ma Barbara. I'll link the two for you.

1. I was praying for my artist friend, Linda Kasun, this morning.
2. She is leaving today with the choir from our church to go on a 2 week missions trip to France.
3. They are helping one of our missionaries, Hugh Wessel, by giving concerts and leading two Sunday worship services in struggling churches.
4. Hugh lived under the ministry of Francis Schaeffer before going to seminary and returning to France.
5. Schaeffer's "How Then Shall We Live" book/video series is among the most thought-provoking I've experienced.
6. We found an article from Christianity Today interviewing Francis about that project from the 1970's in a book that used to be my G'ma Barbara's.
7. She loved Schaeffer's ministry - she frequently gave my mother his books. (on a side note, as a young girl I always thought Francis Schaeffer was a woman)
8. Like Francis, G'ma was a thinker. I wish she was still here. I'd love to spend time talking with her again.

That is how when I began praying for my friend Linda, I ended up thanking God for my G'ma Barbara.

They would've liked each other.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shari,

What an honor to be in any way connected to a conversation about your G'ma Barbara! I can picture the two of us sitting and talking with her and we will some day!

I remember we took the class together (How Then Shall We Live) when the four of us first became friends. It was truly thought provoking, and inspiring to an artist like myself. It made me feel responsible to give the glory of any talent to the Heavenly Father who gave us gifts so generously.

My Grandma was a very different kind of G'ma. She was a Tennessee hillbilly, who had no fear in her tiny little body. She had no time for fools, but was kind to everyone. She showered all of us alike with much love and encouragement to be good in all ways.

I'm glad you reminded me about our G'ma's before my trip.

Thank you Shari. Love to you from your friend, Linda.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Awww. What a sweet recounting of how our minds work! Donica OFTEN wonders how I get from point A to point B. Maybe it's a Hart thing??

8:03 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

What is interesting to me about this is that Grandma Barbara (my mother) did this ALL THE TIME!!!! We (including Grandpa) were forever looking at each other with disbelief, saying only in expressions "where did THAT come from??" Once in a while she caught on and had to explain herself, as you have done here.

I believe this is a sign of intelligence. :)

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do the same thing :)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Hey, would you have admitted that if I didn't say it's a sign of intelligence?? :)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home