Monday, March 13, 2006

Discovering My Youth


This past week has been one of intense busy-ness. Saturday was an early day for Katy and me. We left Sarasota at 6:30 am for Fort Myers (90 minute drive) to participate in a Musical Performance Assessment (MPA) with Riverview HS's 4 choirs. Katy sang in 3 and I accompanied all 4.

Upon returning home around 3pm, my sweet husband had planned a date for the two of us. We christened our new kyak off of Longboat Key in Sarasota Bay! We were out in the water from about 4-6:30pm, and relaxed in the natural environment that we don't take the time to enjoy nearly enough. I moved to Sarasota 14 years ago from Wisconsin, and it took until Saturday for some "firsts".

First time to find a sand dollar on my own.
First time to travel through a mangrove canal.
First time to watch a porpoise (for about 10 minutes!) only feet away.

Garland said he loved watching my enthusiasm as I leaned far over the boat to discover the bottom of the bay. I was acting like a kid again. We brought home my "spoils" (yes, I raped and pillaged the bay-2 beautiful shells and 12 sand dollars which are now "bleaching" white!).

I loved being out with him in the quiet at sunset and the freedom to just be me. No pretense.

What a relaxing way to end our busy day and week!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garland is a true gentleman and a fine example for younger guys like me.

You should call your bay dates "Porpoise Driven."

;)

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love getting sand dollars and shells! I was atd-now this weekend! YAY! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Laura, you would've loved this spot we found. Chicky will take you there sometime soon. There were dollars ALL OVER!

Love you!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Porpoise driven! I love it!

Shari, these are great images you've given us. And I LOVE that photo of the sand dollars. Such soft hues.

BTW, because I have my "big" hair appointment on Sat. the 24th (3 hours, and it takes forever to get on her calendar), Sunday would be better for us! Where are you staying?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Oh, Shari. This is so soulful. All of it. Garland is such a sweetie. I was able to picture the whole thing. I remember finding sand dollars in Morro Bay, northern CA, years ago. It actually felt like finding real money...if not better! And once they're bleached, ooh-la-la!

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved finding sand dollars at the beach when I was little. Trips to the beach are a lot easier now. :)

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home