Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Discovering My Youth, Part II


What a wonderful thing to be almost 40 and still be able to discover new things with childlike wonder.

I wonder if the teenagers who sing in Riverview HS's Women's Concert Choir are too busy learning how to become a grown-up that they will forget the little girl inside of them. I wonder if they forget to thank God that they even have the opportunity to grow up.

Betty Mullett, their director, selected a unique song for competition season this year. It is from a collection of poems found written by some of the 15,000 children who passed through Teresienstadt on the journey to Auschwitz. Here is one boy's account, remembered vividly still in February, 2006. He had the opportunity to grow up many never had. Then I think, "who would want to "rediscover" the kind of youth he experienced, and many still share today in places like Chad and the Sudan?" The collection of poems set to music, I Never Saw Another Butterfly, was written in 1971. The Women's Choir sang The Butterfly.

It is spring, and I might see a butterfly today. Thank you, God.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved learning about the Holocost last year. It was so cruel and heartless of those people to do that to those undiserving people. It makes me want to cry when I think about what one man could do. He had no heart at all. It was full of Satan. I think it is a very pretty song. We are singing a song that was found written one a wall in Aushcwitz. Inscription of hope.

"I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
and I believe in love
even when there's no one there

and I believe in God
even when he is silent
I believe through any trial
there is always a way

but sometimes in this suffering
and hopeless despair
my heart cries for shelter
to know someone's there

but a voice rises within me
saying "hold on, my child
I'll give you strength, I'll give you hope
just stay a little while"

I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
and I believe in love
even when there's no one there

and I believe in God
even when he is silent
I believe through any trial
there is always a way

May there someday be sunshine
may there someday be happiness
may there someday be love
may there someday be peace."

I love that song and I know you do too. I was glad you guys were able to hear me sing it at districts. I love you and I am glad that God blessed me with having you as my mom.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so blessed to have a wife who thinks and is the way she is. She is childlike, teenage sassy and grown-up all in the same person - It's great.
I'll say it again - I am so blessed to have Mrs. M for my wife. I love you honey.

GLM

6:29 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Awww. Now THAT'S the Munger Family Connection!

And this post hit very close to home, of course, while here in Germany. Lots of stuff inside of me related to the Holocaust every time I'm here. Maybe one of these days it'll all come out. Knowing there were songs written by some of the children makes me want to cry uncontrollably....

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginnie is in Germany right now?????

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im crying after reading Laura's comment. I started singing while reading the words. I cant believe I remember it...

Love you Mom!

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very touching and I know that when I sing 'The Butterfly' song, I imagine the atrocities of the holocaust and count my blessings. Thank you for the little reminder, Mrs. M.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home