Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Oh How The Years Go By

Well, it's difficult to believe another week has passed, let alone summers of keeping children busy while you keep your sanity...and since there is more to our family than our recent trip, I thought I'd fill you in on the girls' summer activities....

Katy left this past Thursday for Guatemala City to work in a school teaching English. Our friend, Joel Van Dyke, set up this experience, and Katy is having the time of her life! This is really her story to tell upon her return, but she's had an eventful summer. While Garland and I were gone she and 3 friends stayed at our house under the supervision of my 25 year old niece. They enjoyed the whole "housemate" experience in preparation for college in just 1 short year.

Emma, who lives in Memphis, is currently at cheerleading camp this week. She traveled to Gatlinburg on Sunday with the rest of the squad, and she returns this weekend. She is planning on visiting us and going up to Chicago for some G'ma time before her cheer and choir schedule goes crazy.


Laura has been visiting her family in TN so far this summer, and returns home next week. She was protected through a medical scare, and I know she has grown by leaps and bounds since she left 4 weeks ago. Things don't stay still for long with her...she comes home to braces, catch-up time with friends, turning 13 and summer camp! Then on to being an 8th grade peer mentor for incoming 6th graders the week before school begins!

We wish we could go to our cottage in MI this summer, but our time up there will unfortunately have to wait.














Today's question: how have your family's summer activities changed over the years?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm used to having summers off- this is the first year that I am actually working over the summer! It's not so bad. Luckily, my schedule is flexible and I can still manage to take mini-vacations.

Now I have two kids (Swede's babes Wyatt and Zabrina) and that means planning fun activities like fishing on Canyon Lake, birthday parties, father's day festivities, dragging the whole family all the way to Michigan, guitar camp, ice-skating camp, lots of reading books on horse-back riding and animal encyclopedias, and of course, catering to the unique palate of a 9 year old who doesn't eat anything green or vegetable related. She likes cereal and steak. Oh boy!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

How fun to see the Before and After pics, Shari. Oh my! How quickly they change. I am so impressed by all the extra-curricular activities of your girls all through their growing-up years. They are so well-rounded. And grounded! You can be very proud of them.

The only thing that has changed for me of late, since my kids have been out of the home now for years, is the traveling back-n-forth to Germany almost every month since last year. I just love it, as you know!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My, oh my, oh my......this grandma cannot believe what's right in front of my eyes. I have said for the past few years (to anyone who might want to listen!! :) that my grandchildren are growing up right before my very eyes.... but, trouble is, I'm not able to watch them!

The long-distance miles have prevented the day-to-day "world" that many grandparents have when their "kids" are close by. I'm so grateful for a daughter who keeps in regular touch....it sure helps!

And thanks, Emma, for the call you made to G'pa last Sunday....he really appreciated it!!

Thanks again, Mrs. M., for this most recent "look" into your thoughts and world -- I love you. Mom

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is sweet mom. And time is flying. Im a junior!! YAY! Never thought I would be here already. But that picture of me in the "akward stage" has gotta go! lol. Thank goodness cheer camp is over...I think every muscle in my body was worked to its full!!

I love you Mom!! Cant wait to come!!

-Emma Ruth

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So at the moment my spacers are KILLING my teeth and the rest of my mouth. I'm looking forward to spending time with you, running errands. I LOVE YOU!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I will miss you and your lovely clan this weekend. Hope you have a fun holiday!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home