Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Childhood Trees


While growing up in a two story house, inside my bedroom I could view our backyard. My bed was frequently positioned near two nine-paned sash windows and from there I would read and watch the backyard activities. Some days I did more watching than reading. And there was a big, sprawling chinese crabapple tree right outside.

During these times I wished I had a porch to climb onto, like my grandfather's off his second floor study. This would have been ideal because she wasn't a good climbing tree, but on a porch, I could be in her branches!

Today I have a tree out my window in my one story house. It is very different than my childhood tree--a huge palm that shades that side of the yard and corner of our home. It towers up, but like my crabapple, isn't good for climbing. Our cat, Sammy, likes to sit in "his" window and watch all the backyard activity surrounding the tree like I did as a young girl.

I've told this story because I found this poem. I like it. It reminds me of my bedroom tree.




Tree at My Window

by Robert Frost.

Tree at my window, window tree,
My sash is lowered when night comes on;
But let there never be curtain drawn
Between you and me.
Vague dream-head lifted out of the ground,
And thing next most diffuse to cloud,
Not all your light tongues talking aloud
Could be profound.
But tree, I have seen you taken and tossed,
And if you have seen me when I slept,
You have seen me when I was taken and swept
And all but lost.
That day she put our heads together,
Fate had her imagination about her,
Your head so much concerned with outer,
Mine with inner, weather.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice.I bet the tree was very pretty.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

I love these connections, Shari, between the trees of your life, Sammy, and Robert Frost. For me, those connections are the "Aha" experiences that make Life so meaningful. Thanks for sharing.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I love this post, all of it. I've always loved the last two lines of that poem. Thank you.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Laura-I wish G'ma still lived in this house. It was truly cool. A great house to grow up in!

Boots-yea, it would be easy to write about trees and the connections in our lives-like the tree Nelson and Mom were in as children with the fire and the bullets exploding! :)

Ruth-I wish I had taken a poetry class in college (still time to, yes?!), so this one was a new discovery for me. If I had your talent, I would write my own poem comparing the two trees!

10:52 AM

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetheart - you never cease to amaze me. I love you.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home