Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"What exactly do you do, Mrs. Munger?"

Yesterday one of the new members of Center Stage, the honors choir at RHS, was at our house. Mondays we host the script writing for Renaissance Feast, where an average of 20 students come, eat, have fun, and work on this annual project. He asked me what I did, which I found kind of funny because he sees me at school every day!

It occurred to me that some of you might not know, either, so a few "blogs" are in order! :)

My time in college was spent pursuing music education. I love working with high school students, and in spite of not completing my degree, I am able to spend a good portion of my day doing what I enjoy! At Riverview High School I wear several hats in the Music Department. I began 4 years ago accompanying the choirs under the direction of Betty Mullett. There are 5 choirs (150 students) rehearsing on a daily basis. The following year she asked me to help coordinate the middle schools that participate in the annual Renaissance Feast, and also the ensembles that perform at the district and state levels in the springtime. This past year 8 ensembles came home with straight superiors!

Two years ago, Betty decided to expand the genre of music by beginning a vocal jazz program. Since she now had someone to assist her on a regular basis (me!), this was a dream realized for her. In the past year, the jazz group has really taken on its own life, and we perform with the nationally recognized Kiltie Jazz Band throughout the year. This coming May after State we are doing a 2nd annual Cinco de Mayo concert together. Betty has given me this ball, along with my other continuing responsibilities, and has supported the program to its fullest! Oh, and I also teach private piano and voice lessons at school in one of the studios.

Betty is an incredible director, and I feel as if I'm been in a master class for conducting the past 4 years. Not very many people have the opportunity to do what they love, and I know how blessed I am!

btw, a note about today in jazz history...It's the birthday of jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker, born in Kansas City, Kansas (1920). He helped originate the style of jazz called "bebop." Jazz players used the word "bebop" to sing a flatted fifth, but Parker didn't like to use the word for the way he played. "Let's not call it bebop," he said. "Let's just call it music."

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Mmm, I LOVE that comment by Charlie Parker! Avoiding labels. Who needs 'em? Thanks for informing us about your life. :)

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks mrs. munger :)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... that's what you do all day; I knew it had something to do with music. I love you and am so proud of you.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

I like the Charlie Parker comment too, Ruth.

Let's see...my favorite? :) Great job on the paper, Jenay! I think Mrs. Mullett is giving extra credit points to you for it also.

Garland, actually, it's all a scam. I just hang out and play all day at RHS! ;) I couldn't do it without your support! Now that is the truth :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

That is such a cool story, Shari, of how what you love to do is so much a part of your life. Q: Do you get paid for all you do with/for Betty? I sure hope so, tho' I'm guessing you'd say that's not the point. You get so many perks from what you do. Still! I have always been impressed by ALL the activities going on at RHS. You are very fortunate for this experience!

I love the pic of Betty AND Katie :)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

You're right, it's not about the money! Having said that, because of a tax referrendum passing this past spring, the principal has been able to use funds to create and aide position for Betty, which we are in the process of finalizing my paperwork with the county. It'll probably cover 8-10 of the hours I put in, which is nice!

The picture was taken at our summer camp the week before school began. That particular day was "80's", so that's why Katy looks like she does in her "workout clothes".

9:41 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

So glad to hear there will be at least some compensation. Way to go! It's funny, I was gonna say something about loving Katie's outfit, not knowing it was from the '80s. She wouldn't wear something like that now??!! I love it!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home