Thursday, September 07, 2006

Charleston, Part 1

We had the opportunity to get a little relief from the Florida heat and went to Charleston, SC over Labor Day Weekend. Saturday was my dad's 73rd birthday, and he lives in Mt. Pleasant (just outside Charleston). There were two sides to our visit: time with family and tourism, so I'm going to divide our experiences into two blogs.
My dad and his wife have been married for 23 years. His wife, Nancy, has four children, one of which passed away a few years ago from cancer. Her two surviving daughters live in Charleston also, so a visit to Dad includes them as well. As an only child, it is fun to have time with "steps" and their families.

Lyn is closest in age to me (3 years older), and has two daughters of her own with her husband Mike. Her oldest is only 9 days older than Laura, with Grey coming 5 years behind.


Ellen is Garland's age and married to Joe. They have one son, Kevin, who is in his early 20's. Kevin is studying Arabic (he graduated from Central MI U) to pursue a job with the CIA!


After Saturday with Dad and Nancy, Sunday was enjoyed over at Lyn's. We have a great time together, and Laura was able to reconnect with Nancy's granddaughters.

More on Monday's activities in the next post...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun post! Thanks for sharing. Man, would I love to go to Charleston!

The thing that surprised me the most was that your dad and Nancy have been married 23 years!! That doesn't seem possible.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Ruth-
It's too bad that we're only 8 hours away from Charleston and we get there as little as we do!

Yea, 23 years--and before we know it, Dad turns 75 three months after he and Nancy celebrate their 25th! Time does fly--

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I coulda been there! Love you!!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Since Gil is the one I know, it's good to see a pic of him! Oh my! How we all age (guess I include myself in that one!). Donica's step-dad is 70 today, so they're in the same age-bracket now. Hmm that's not very far away for some of us. Yikes! Amy, you know, will visit Charleston in mid-October. It's not that far from Atlanta so maybe one of these years Donica and will decide to spend one of our vacation weeks there. Certainly can't go wrong with that! I look forward to your next post on the tourism part!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

BTW, I forgot to mention that I, too, was most surprised at how long Gil and Nancy have been married. Are they as happy as they look?!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home