Friday, September 08, 2006

Charleston, Part 2

Tourism....
New bridges, old houses; slavery from the past, desegregation in the present. (Although, as an aside, the attempts to desegregate and its apparent failure in South Carolina are more evident there than in Sarasota, Florida. Isle of Palms, where my step-sister lives, is a clear example of this. This is where the affluency of caucasians thrives in big beach houses, as opposed to the struggle to survive that continues in poorer areas, where people of color reside in tiny little shacks with fruit or basket stands by the side of the highway as their only income. Churches are still either white or black. I find the entire culture very sad.)

We spent Monday morning in downtown Charleston. We began our tour on Market Street. The soboring thought I had was of my great, great grandfather more than likely coming to the very spot to purchase slaves for his plantation in Hartsville 160 years ago. This "shopping spot" has been in existance, though under very different circumstances, since the 1700's. On Monday we purchased a new bread basket, handmade from seagrass.


We went from Market St. over to the battery. Near there we toured the Calhoun Mansion. One of the owners was the grandson of Vice President Calhoun (under John Adams). His father-in-law built the home in the 1870's for his daughter, Sarah. Its current "claim-to-fame" is as the interior of the summer home in the movie "The Notebook". In fact, this movie was filmed on location in the Charleston area.



Our trip back to Florida included a stop at the Krispy Kreme store at the edge of town. This has become a sort-of tradition. There is nothing like a warm donught before driving for 8 hours! :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

I visited Charleston years ago and remember the seagrass baskets and the women making them. I remember the "slave market" that is now a flea market of sorts (I think). I remember the battery. But it was still so long ago. Your pics make me want to go back and experience it all again but probably in a new way, through different eyes, and with a camera in hand!

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos. Makes me want to go back. Forget the blog, you should be writing travel guides!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Boots - the heritage of this basket craft is touching. Yes, you would love Charleston with a camera! We barely touched on most places due to our schedule. You and Donica should go sometime.

Anonymous (would love to know who you are!) - the tour guide in our family is most definitely my Aunt Ruth. Take a look at her guide of Paris at http://www.paris-deconstructed.blogspot.com/

She's remarkable!

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. M., thanks for the compliment! :)

You make me want to go to Charleston (again)! I have a set of seagrass baskets that I love (love that smell and color). I really started falling for this area -- even though I've never been there -- through Pat Conroy's books and bio.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love Charleston. I've only been once and that was when I was about 8 months pregnant! If you went over by Battery Park you probably saw another historic B&B called Two Meeting Street Inn -- this is where we had the priviledge of staying, paid for by my previous employer (our room was about $400/night!). Looking forward to going back next month. Thanks for the photos!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Yea, Amy, Meeting Street is where the Calhoun Mansion is (I think #12).

Nice gift from the boss!! :) Have fun next month...

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home