Friday, March 31, 2006

House Hopping




This afternoon my cousin and his wife, Nathan and Nancy, wanted to wrap up their Florida visit with a stop at the Ca 'dZan (The House of John (Ringling)) on their way to the airport. Due to time restraints, we decided to invest our "free dollars" at this house instead.

Both are from the Great Gatsby Era and are places that this Sarasota resident visits when company is in town.

This has gotten me thinking...why do we take for granted the things right in front of us all the time? It's easy, when wondering what to do on a Friday night, to think there's NOTHING in Sarasota! During "season", I'm amazed at the number of people who choose to vacation here!
Yet these two "houses" host Shakespeare, plays, jazz concerts in the park, etc... events continuously throughout the year!

I'd like to appreciate the beauty where I live, rather than think about how great it is somewhere else.
As my daughter, Emma, says..."we live where you vacation". I think our family should vacation more where we live.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you and Garland should look into ushering for those plays. my mom and dad do that all summer at the Hope Summer Reportoire Theatre--they love it.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

I know exactly what you mean, Shari! We live in Atlanta and STILL don't know half of what's here, I'm sure. There's stuff all around us in this state of Georgia that we would be totally amazed and mesmerized by. So your point is definitely well-taken! Thanks for the reminder.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Great insight, Shari.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you can take us there, or any "wherever" the next time we come. I would love to see some of your "right in my back yard" places.

Love, Mom

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home