Monday, April 17, 2006

How To Project

For the past 4 days my husband has been working on a "weekend project". You know, the kind that typically takes much longer than a weekend! We decided to add a paver patio off the back of our house so we can expand our living space to the outside.


It was at this point that I thought a vegetable garden might be a better plan. Levelling is quite the job. I think Garland spent a day and a half moving dirt from one spot to another. It's very important that the grade be "just so", otherwise there'll be other problems later!


After 50+ bags of sand, we placed the 6x6 and 6x9 inch cobblestone pavers down in our chosen pattern. (we actually went around our neighborhood and copied the one we liked the best! this was when i felt validated, because while my husband's mechanical intelligence is off the charts as opposed to mine being in the basement, when it came to "seeing" the pattern, i grasped that part immediately!)


By the end of Sunday, we were sanding in the pavers! We will be doing that part over the next few days, compacting them down once more, and then placing our patio furniture and landscaping.



I have discovered the following from this "how to" weekend:

1. The foundation really is important.
2. I'm more out of shape than I thought.
3. 18x12 is definitely a big enough patio!
4. Mine and Garland's strengths and weaknesses balance us out...we're a great team!

What's your favorite house project you've done with someone?

8 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Fantastic post, Shari! So funny because Don, Peter and I just picked up 300 bricks Saturday through freecycle for a similar patio idea! I love these improvements. Can't wait to see photos with furniture!

I can't think of a favorite project right now, but Don and I talk all the time about how much easier and more fun it is to do these things together.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

Ruth: Where are you doing the project and what's freecycle? We're getting things ready for all the senior year upcoming events...hoping, of course, for visitors along the way! This was the first of a few! Remember those days?

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, and double well!!! Wow, what an adventure. I can't believe all the hours that go into a project like this. 'Cannot wait to see your beautiful new patio the next time we visit.

Do you remember when you were 10, and "Uncle" Clarence Johnson completely re-did our kitchen on Deerfield Rd.?? It was the year 1976, the 200th b'day of our country, and it was a project that needed to be done. The only problem is that this was a project that I was NOT personally involved in helping to do, so I guess that doesn't count, does it. Oh well, it's the only thing I can think of to answer your question..... Love, Mom.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

I agree with Ruth on wanting to see the finished patio with furniture when done. What a great project to do together! The one project I'll never forget is the deck at the cottage when several of us families worked on it together. I was the chief photographer of it and have all the digital pics somewhere :)

2:20 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Freecycle is a service via yahoo through which you can give and get stuff for free! All you have to do is pick it up. You have to be registered with a yahoo account. I'll be doing a post on it one of these days . . .

The patio will be between the shed and the studio, a little outside "room" that needs to be claimed.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I had my own "weekend project"! HaHa
ORGINIZATION!
As you know I organized many things: The "Girl's" Bathroom, The "Junk" Drawer, my closet, and a tiny part of the fridge.

I helped a little on the patio! Moving a few bricks counts right????

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks great shari! nance and i are sitting here looking at the pics, remembering our pre-patio patio time with you all. wonderful.

and, we don't have house projects because we livin in the City! my tool box is pathetic. seriously, it has tools to hang pictures. that's it. heh.

:)

9:41 PM  
Blogger mama j said...

Looks beautiful! Our next project is a srapbook nook for me, some things are ordered....have to finish deciding on paint, then shelving....can't wait!

Oh and by the way--I posted on my blog! LOL! Put pix up of the boys.

Have a GREAT night tomorrow! I hope the concert goes well!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home