Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"Uppity French"?

pictures courtesy of The Asolo Theatre

The Florida Voices (of which Garland and I sing) just completed their first concert of the 2006-2007 Season. The title was "Poetry in Motion", and featured songs from the texts of famous poets such as e.e.cummings, Robert Frost, Sara Teasdale, James Agee, Shakespeare, Kahlil Gibran, Robert Burns, Lord Byron, Edgar Allen Poe, and Yeats.

We have begun rehearsals for our next venue in February at the historic Asolo Theatre. It is a concert performed in French.

Question: is this a sophisticated or snobbish language?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

HA. I'll let Ruth answer the question of sophisticated or snobbish. I love to hear French spoken and wish I could speak it correctly before I die. Even though my background is linguistics, I find it very difficult to get my tongue around the French words, which I don't have a problem at all with Spanish or German.

Anyway, congratulations on such a great experience, which you get to share together!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. M., this sounds like a wonderful concert program. All those poets! I'd love to hear it.

As for French, I think it's neither sophisticated nor snobbish. It's just a language. I will say that the French "salon" is rather snobbish since they are very slow to accept a new word officially(unlike English where we're always accepting new words into the Oxford English Dictionary). I don't know how you classify a language as sophisticated or not, not being a linguist. I think Ginnie would better be able to answer that. :)

Anyway, I agree with her that it's a beautiful language and not easy to learn. Good luck with singing it!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home